Thursday, May 10, 2012

Smash Bros. The Next Generation - Day 9

Mad Scientist's Balloon Experiment Gone Wrong in the Old, Snowy Hills!


  I just wanted to take a time out here to thank you for reading this, and any of my posts thus far. Life's busy and there's a lot to read, so it means a lot to me that you take time out of your day to even give my articles a glance.

The Veteran - Jigglypuff


  Man. So. Look, I don't know here. I think Jigglypuff is fun to play, and I think (s)he brings a unique "so cute!" dynamic to the roster that helps keep this a fleshed out character selection screen for all sorts of people. I just don't know what else we can do with her at this point. I would need to have a new mechanic to toy with. I just think it's important that we bring her back is all. I mean, if any Pokemon has to go to free up space on the roster, I think Jigglypuff is first in line, I just hope it doesn't come to that.

  Instead of a normal 'alternate costume,' I say we just give her 5 more hats. Because whenever I play Jigglypuff, I just want to look at her wearing hats. Do I go with the little flower in her tuft of hair? Or do I go with the female Pokemon Trainer? Pft. The answer is simple. It's the only correct answer: I go with the sunhat with the blue ribbon. Done.

The Potential Newcomer - Professor E. Gadd


  Here's an interesting dynamic that I'm sad Nintendo kind of left behind in the Gamecube era. Professor E. Gadd was a great excuse to provide new and interesting gameplay mechanics to existing characters. It's kind of a shame he hasn't been around to do that more often, and more so that he hasn't been given his own crazy mechanic-filled game. Well I think a new Smash is a perfect time for him to shine.

  What we do is we take all of his known gadgets and gizmos, namely the Poltergust 3000 vacuum, the F.L.U.D.D. water canon, and his magic paint brush, and we give them to him as weapons and abilities, switching on the fly. A down+B could find him pulling things close with his vacuum to shoot them out, or sucking up items similar to DeDeDe and Kirby. An up+B could have him firing the F.L.U.D.D. downwards to propel upwards and onwards; a recovery move similar to R.O.B.'s. He could fight with the paintbrush like a sort of sword, and his B move could leave paint marks that act as traps on the field. Maybe this whole thing could just be a robot controlled by E. Gadd, because it does seem kind of weird beating up on a geriatric professor, but you get the idea.

  For a Final Smash, the good Professor could bust out some crazy new contraption or combine all of his into a super-weapon. Really there's no one thing that would work, but any sort of amalgamation of technology would be exactly what we need. His alternate costume, provided he himself is the fighter, could be like a robotic-version of himself, or him in some sort of goofy armoring. Think about it.

The Stage - Danger! Icy Conditions Ahead from Yoshi's Island



  What it comes down to with this stage is that, visually, it's one of my favorite's from Yoshi's Island. I absolutely adore the palette used on this stage, and wouldn't mind seeing it in a full-fledged stage. Some neat stage hazards could include rolling balls of snow or avalanches, or some of those pesky Goonies flying around. Now, maybe, we're getting a bit too close to Ice Climbers territory here, or maybe we could put them together. I don't know. What I do know is that if we're doing some sort of music-mixture, there are a lot of cool ice themes from throughout other games that could go here. It's with that in mind that I'm going to deviate from my normal music selection a bit here. First, a couple tracks from Yoshi games that would work, but everything else will be excellent "Snowy level" related music. I hope you enjoy this mixing it up.

Music to chill to

Yoshi's Island - Underground
  The reason I selected this music has more to do with the fact that it could be remixed in such a way to be a very good, icy theme. When I hear that sort of sparkling sound, I imagine ice in the distance. It's a cool song, and in the right hands, could be more than fitting.

Yosh's Story - Alpina Blue
  So yeah. That's just a perfect fit so let's move on.

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Cozy Cabin
  I've already used "Snowy Fields" elsewhere, but let's assume that we can also use it here. Just in case, I've also provided the theme "Cozy Cabin" from Kirby's Epic Yarn, because of the inviting tone it has. It's warm and comfortable, without being boring and uneventful. If anybody should make a proper Yoshi's Island sequel, it's the people at Good Feel.

Mother - Snowman
  It was featured in Brawl, but I think bringing it back for a more appropriate stage like this would be quite ideal.

Super Mario Bros.3 - World 6
  This is going to get old after more than a minute, but I have heard some really awesome drum and bass remixes of it in the past. Perhaps a bit dark for this otherwise cheery stage, but something to mix it up isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Super Mario 64 - Cool, Cool Mountain
  At night... I can still hear the penguins. Screaming. When will the screaming stop? When?

Donkey Kong Country - Ice Cave Chant
  Still one of the best songs that has ever been recorded by human hands.

Twilight Princess - Snowpeak
  Another one of the more subdued themes, but still one of my favorites from Twilight Princess. It helped that I was living in Michigan at the time, playing this game in the dead of winter. It really left a mark with me, and ties me back to another time. It's hard to believe it's been almost 6 years.

  I hope I didn't leave you.. out cold.. with that mix up. If you were preturbed, I hope you'll manage to.. stay frosty.. with me as we move forward. I just hope we can all.. chill out.. and talk about Smash Bros. ideas. I'd see myself out, but this is my blog and I have no where else to go.

  What are your favorite chilly tunes? Leave me some links below, I love to hear them.


-Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment