Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Super Smash Bros. The Next Generation - Day 17

The Captain, The Professor, and The Conductor.

  Welcome to the first of a series of catch-up articles! I'll be hammering a few of these out this weekend, so sorry for the influx, but I hope you enjoy!

The Veteran - Captain Falcon


  Mon Capitan has has always been kind of a weird character to me. I wasn't even really aware of who he was when the first Smash came out, due to my limited knowledge of the F-Zero series. So seeing this space-car pilot flipping and kicking up flames never really made any sense to me. Never the less, The Cap has Falcon Punched his way into our hearts, and for that we welcome him into a new game.

  Kind of a weird idea, but hear me out. For his alternate costume, dress him up like the dude from the Mach Rider trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Or maybe just his arcade Insert Coin screen.Kind of a super obscure reference, but isn't that why we love Smash?

The Newcomer - Professor Layton


  This one is kind of tricky. I'm not quite sure where Professor Layton lies in terms of ownership. I know that the brilliant minds at Level 5 make the games, but I don't know if Layton himself is a Nintendo property. So honestly I have zero idea what the logistics of getting him into the game are. In the end, I suppose, if they could get Pokemon, who are technically owned by Game Freak, then it is possible to get Layton. He's got better chances then a total "third party" character, but I'm not sure how much better. Regardless! The good Professor is exactly what Smash needs; a brainy fighter.

  "But Randy! He's just an archaeologist who solves puzzles! What could he possibly be doing as a fighter!?" you might be asking me, which is kind of weird since I can't hear you through the internet. But I'll answer your imaginary question anyway! But I will do so with another question. Does THIS (spoiler warning!) look like a man who doesn't fight? What about THIS?! Throw in a little Slot Machine-Gun for a few special attacks, and you've got the best thing Smash Bros. has to offer.

  Rounding things out with a Final Smash that consists of a giant Ferris Wheel chasing opponents across the screen. An alternate costume could feature Layton from the old days, before he received his trademark top hat.
  Dapper.

Spirit Tracks Train

  The idea for this stage is fairly simplistic at it's base. The battleground is the train from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks on the DS. Little conductor Link guides the train on different paths throughout the region of New Hyrule, providing for neat background scenery, including the floating pieces of the central tower. It could even travel into the different regions for more variety! Other trains or Phantom Trains could creep up behind the train, providing extra platforms and causing the train's Canon to take fire to protect itself, providing a stage hazard. If we're doing a Toon Link style stage, this is easily the best way to do it.

The Tracks of the Tracks

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Overworld

  This has actually become one of my absolute favorite Zelda tracks. It has that sense of exploration and upbeat cheer that I just absolutely adore. It's a brilliant, brilliant piece that I wouldn't mind seeing put into some grand theme for a new Smash. Now, we could also just include the piece from the amazing live symphony. Here's the clip, and the rest of the CD for you to listen to.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Link and Zelda's Duet

  Give this piece some full orchestration and a live female vocal, and I think you've got an amazing track.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - Cloud Tops
  Something needed to have that classic Zelda overworld theme, but I'll be honest, I'm kind of over it. There are better themes out there, and that one was played to death in previous Smash games. I'm sure it'll show up again, but I propose this as a unique alternative.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - Log Bridge Fountain
  This song features a pan flute, and actually sounds like it comes from Spirit Tracks. The quick beat is reminiscent of train tracks, while the overall melody is fanciful yet energetic.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Theme of Linebeck
  One of the more unique characters in the Zelda series, I just figured Linebeck deserved having his own theme in the game.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Clock Town Medley
  I leave you now with something a tad more unique. A medley of the Clock Town variations as done by Artificial Fear, a YouTube musician who has a penchant for metal covers of video game tunes. I found it rather enjoyable, so I decided to share.

  I find that whenever I do these Zelda levels I end up spending an hour (at least) searching through a backlog of amazing music. Trying to pick the songs that have a balance of being instantly memorable and suitable for the stage is a hard act, but I always find it incredibly satisfying once it's all put together. That said, I would love to know what tracks you would love to see in a level like this? Fill up my comments section with awesome music.


-Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment